Skip to main content

Princess Run

Had you told me five years ago that I would be running for anything outside of a life or death emergency (i.e., being chased by a bear), I would have told you that is pure crazy talk.  Five years later, I am running for fun. 

(Truth be told, I run so I can enjoy all the food.)

I never gave much thought to a race-cation until I ran my first RunDisney race two years ago at RunDisney’s Princess Half Marathon Weekend.  I went with a group of friends to run the 5k for a long girlfriend’s weekend.  This isn’t anything new to the novice runners.  However, that weekend I was bit by the RunDisney bug.  I decided that weekend my goal was to run my first half marathon at the Princess Half Marathon weekend sometime in the future.

I ran my first half marathon at the 2015 Princess Half Marathon weekend, and the rest is history. 

I have fallen in love with that particular weekend, and it is one of my annual vacations now.  I have met women from around the world through this one weekend each year.  Friendships have blossomed over the years now, and I look forward to it every year.

This year was no different.  Let me correct that.  This year I wasn’t going as a client of Zip-a-dee-doo-dah Travel’s; I was going as an official Memory Maker. 

Now on with the story. J   

I met up with several friends multiple times throughout the weekend.  We are like school girls that haven’t seen their friends in forever.  The laughter and the squeals of delight seem to act as a beacon to where we are on the Disney property.

Two o’clock on Sunday morning came quick.

 (I had joined a few other Memory Makers and friends the previous night for dinner at California Grill.  You must make reservations to have dinner there the next time you’re at Walt Disney World.  Time it for the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom.  You’ll thank me later.) 

An alarm clock going off this early is a true sign that you’re at a RunDisney event.  I had signed up for the Race Retreat, and wanted to be on the first bus headed to the staging area for the race.  The RunDisney experience isn’t just with the race itself; it begins the moment you enter the staging area.  The DJ.  The volunteers.  The energy and excitement amongst the runners.

The Race Retreat is worth the extra splurge.  You are in an enclosed area with heat to help with the cooler morning temps.  There are private port-a-potties.  There is a private bag check.  Then, there is the food for both pre-race and post-race.  On top of that, there is a character meet and greet just for the Race Retreat participates.

A little before 5:00 AM, everyone begins walking the 1+ mile to the corrals for the half marathon.  The first fireworks go off at 5:30 AM.  (Fireworks are more fun than a starter gun.)  I was fortunate to be in a corral with a dear friend that I ran with for a while at last year’s race.  We chatted and loosened up as we waited for our turn.  The countdown began, and we were off.  Oh, the excitement of running this race!!! 


She and I ran the first 7.5 miles together.  We did a few photo stops together.  First photo stop is always with the “WELCOME” sign.  Normally, this area is filled with vehicles entering the parking area for the Magic Kingdom.  This morning it was filled with thousands of runners.  Second photo stop – the Queen of Hearts and a health break.  The photo ops that followed were many this year – Elastigirl (Mom from “The Incredibles”), Castle picture, and the penguins from “Mary Poppins”.  She encouraged me to push on ahead; reluctantly I did so.  I stopped for pictures with Genie with Mickey Mouse golf cart and the cute guys with fabulous car.  Around mile 9, I stopped to get a picture with the Princes’, and it just so happened a friend was right in front of me.  After the picture, we ran together for a bit, but I didn’t have the stride she did.  I told her to go on ahead.  I continued on my way, and stopped for a picture with Mushu.  Around mile 12.5, I caught up with another friend.  I knew the finish line was near as I heard the gospel choir.  I had to get a selfie with them.  The last picture was with Mickey Mouse just before the finish line.



Had I not made all the stops, I may have had a personal best.  However, I had the most fun this year.  

I ran with my heart. 


If you have ever given thought to running one of the races at the Princess Half Marathon weekend, I would like to encourage you to sign up.  

Registration will open to the public on Tuesday, May 2nd (this is subject to change by RunDisney).  It is an amazing weekend.  

There are so many race weekends between both Walt Disney World and Disneyland, and there might be another one that suits you better.  There is one at Disneyland Paris, as well.  

I would love to help you plan your race-cation.  You’ve done the all the training; the race-cation should be the reward.

XOXO,
Your Memory Maker, Shamron 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Cruise Specialty Information: Theme Nights, Excursions, Special On Board Activities Requiring PRE-Sign Up  Theme Nights:  On each cruise there are a variety of specialty nights that you might want to prepare for. Some people go all out for these nights and some people do nothing…it is a personal preference what you wish to do, but we want you to have all the information you need to make that choice PIRATE NIGHT:  (Happens on all ships/sailings) https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/pirate-night-deck-party/ Schedule of Nights Based on Cruise Length: 3-night cruises: • One cruise casual night—no swimwear or tank tops • One pirate night themed deck party • One optional “dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women 4-night cruises: • First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops • One pirate night themed deck party • One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women • Final night
One of my favorite things to do at Walt Disney World during Christmas is to visit the deluxe resorts.  Each resort is decorated in it’s own unique way.  The Grand Floridian features a life sized gingerbread house in it’s lobby.  When you walk in, you can smell the gingerbread…yum!!  Here’s a time lapse video of how the magic happens at the Grand Floridian! https://youtu.be/Si2pcosZjbk
If you’re looking for a yummy but healthy breakfast or lunch on Disney property, Capt. Cooks has the best avocado toast! It is covered with fresh avocado, egg, arugula, tomatoes, goat cheese, salt & pepper. Definitely a must try if you’re at the Polynesian Resort!